1. In 1881, 129 Years ago Today, Exodus of five thousand Blacks from Edgefield County, South Carolina. Migrants, protesting exploitation and violence, settled in Arkansas.
2. In 1881, 129 Years ago Today, Tennessee started modern segregation movement with Jim Crow railroad car and was followed by Florida (1887), Mississippi (1888), Texas (1889), Louisiana (1890), Alabama, Kentucky, Arkansas and Georgia (1891), South Carolina (1898), North Carolina (1899), Virginia (1900), Maryland (1904), Oklahoma (1907).
3. In 1881, 129 Years ago Today, United Order of True Reformer established by William Washington Browne, a Methodist Minister of Richmond, Virginia.
4. In 1889, 121 Years ago Today, McCoy & Hodges Received Patent for Lubricator
5. In 1992, 18 Years ago Today, Alphonso Michael “Mike” Espy appointed Secretary of Agriculture, making him the first African American to hold this position.