1. In 1869, 142 Years ago Today, Convention of the Colored National Labor Union organized.
2. In 1869, 142 Years ago Today, National convention of Black leaders met in Washington, D.C. Fredrick Douglass was elected president.
3. In 1873, 138 Years ago Today, P.B.S. Pinchback relinquished the office of governor, saying at the inauguration of the new Louisiana governor: “I now have the honor to formally surrender the office of governor, with the hope that you will administer the government in the interests of all the people [and that] your administration will be as fair toward the class that I represent, as mine has been toward the class represented by you.”
4. In 1913, 98 Years ago Today, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority is founded on the campus of Howard University.
5. In 1953, 58 Years ago Today, Don Barksdale becomes first Black person to play in an NBA All-Star Game
6. In 1966, 45 Years ago Today, Robert Weaver beacme the first Black appointed to a presidential cabinet when President Lyndon B. Johnson named him to head the newly created Departmentof Housing and Urban Development.
7. In 1979, 32 Years ago Today, A commemorative stamp of Martin Luther King, Jr. is issued by the U.S. Postal Service as part of its Black Heritage USA commemorative series. The stamp of the slain civil rights leader is the second in the series.
8. In 1987, 24 Years ago Today, MLK Holiday Denied, Even Mecham, then governeor of Arizona, rescinded the gubernatorial decree by former Governor Bruche Babbit that established the birthday of the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. a state holiday.
9. In 1990, 21 Years ago Today, Lawrence Douglas Wilder of Virginia is inaugurated as the first African American to be elected governor in the U.S. Wilder won the election in Virginia by a mere 700 votes in a state once the heart of the Confederacy.
10. In 1997, 14 Years ago Today, WWII veteran Vernon Baker is awarded the Medal of Honor at age 77
11. In 1999, 12 Years ago Today, Michael Jordan announce his retirement from the NBA and the most illustrious career of any professional sports figure to date.