1. In 1895, 116 Years ago Today, J. T. Darkins received Patent for Ventilation Aid (variation)
2. In 1919, 92 Years ago Today, Pan-African Congress, organized by W.E.B. Du Bois, met a Grand Hotel, Paris. There were fifty-seven delegates sixteen from the United States and fourteen from Africa form sixteen countries and colonies. Blaise Diagne of Senegal was elected president and Du Bois was named secretary.
3. In 1923, 88 Years ago Today, In Moore v. Dempsey decision, Supreme Court guarantees due process of law to blacks in state courts.
4. In 1942, 69 Years ago Today, Tuskegee Airmen initiated, The Army Air Corps’ all African American 100th Pursuit Squadron, later designated a fighter squadron, was activated at Tuskegee Institute. The squadron served honorably in England and in other regions of the European continent during World War II.
5. In 1992, 19 Years ago Today, John Singleton,the first African American director to be nominated for the Academy Award is nominated for best director and best screenplay for his first film Boyz N the Hood.
6. In 2002, 9 Years ago Today, Vonetta Flowers became the first black gold medalist in the history of the Winter Olympic Games. She and partner Jull Brakken won the inagural women’s two-person bobsled event. (Salt Lake City)
7. In 2006, 5 Years ago Today, Shani Davis, Became the first Black male to win Gold in the Winter Olympics when he won the 1000 meter Ice skating event.