1 in 1863, Confederate congress passed resolution which branded Black troops and their officers criminals. Resolution, in effect, doomed captured Black soldiers to death or slavery.
2. In 1867, Howard University is founded in Washington, D.C.
3. In 1883, J. Cooper received Patent for Shutter and Fastening
4. In 1894, W. B. Purvis Received Patent for Electric railway (variation)
5. In 1950, Gwendolyn Brooks, poet, wins Pulitzer Prize for her volume of poetry “Annie Allen”
6. In 1975 Paul Laurence Dunbar commemorative stamp issued by the U.S. Postal Service.