1. In 1848, Slavery abolished in all French territories. It would take 17 years and a Civil War before slavery was abolished in America.
2. In 1928, More than 3000 African Americans died when Lake Okeechobee fooded Western Palm Beach County, Florida, with a 10-15 foot tidal wave. There are at least 3 mass graves containing the bodies of negroes interned without coffins or identification
3. In 1933, Emperor Jones, starring Paul Robeson as Brutus Jones is released by United Artists. It is Robeson’s first starring movie role and the first major Hollywood production starring an African American with whites in supporting roles.
4. In 1986, J. L. Carter & M. Weiner & R. J. Youmans received Patent for Distributed Pulse forming network for Magnetic Modulator
5. In 1990, Keenan Ivory Wayans’s In Living Color wins an Emmy for Outstanding Comedy Series.
6. President Barack Obama signs the America Invents Act. The law represents the most significant change in the U.S. patent system since 1952. The act switches the U.S. patent system from a “first to invent” to a “first to file” system.